The intent of the BC Rehab Project Grant program is to create opportunities for the full participation of people with physical disabilities. BC Rehab is committed to equal opportunities and improving community accessibility throughout the province. We encourage projects that involve multiple community partners, promote universal access, has clearly defined objectives and demonstrate community support.
Our project grants are intended to support initiatives and projects designed to benefit people with disabilities. Some examples of organizations we have supported through our project grant program include the Disabled Independent Gardener Association's urban gardening program, the Community Recreational Initiative Society's Adaptive Adventures program and a supported housing development for brain injury survivors in Campbell River.
BC Rehab reviews applications 3 to 4 times a year.
Who can apply? Funds are available to non-profit organizations or community groups based in British Columbia. Please note that accessible playgrounds and expenditures for equipment, programming or work completed prior to the date of the application approval will not be eligible for funding under this program.
In general, eligible projects will:
- Be consistent with BC Rehab’s mission of supporting efforts to create inclusive communities in BC and expand opportunities for people living with disabilities
- Demonstrate the extent to which the project will create an sustainable and lasting impact
- Have a reasonable and thorough program budget that breaks down costs and revenue
- Establish a tangible timeline
- Have a capable project leader or team in place to see the project through from start to finish
- Set out measurable objectives to evaluation program success
- Prove that there is community support for the proposed undertaking and estimates the amount of people from the disability community who will benefits from the project
Please note if the project is part of a large capital campaign, an approved project must be a distinct and recognizable (“stand alone”) part of the campaign.
What will our review committee to be looking at when evaluating submitted application?
BC Rehab has finite funds available to distribute at each allocation round. We receive a high volume of applications and consequently we are unable to respond favourably to all requests for grant funding. Applications will be assessed on a variety of criteria including, but not limited to, the following:
- The extent to which accessibility needs in the community will be met through this program
- Cost effectiveness and a thorough project budget, including a list of other funders or pending funding applications
- History of the applicant organizations service to the community
- Ability of the lead organization to maintain the program or project and complete it on time and on budget
- The recognition provided to BC Rehab for sponsoring this initiative
- Evidence of community support, especially from members of the community who have a physical disability
The BC Rehab allocation committee does not impose a funding limit, but the average approved funding requested falls between $2,000 and $5,000. Event sponsorship requests are considered only when the undertaking will have a direct and proven impact on people with disabilities.
The application process
Download the application for the BC Rehab Project Grant from our website or request a copy from the BC Rehab office. Read over the application questions and guidelines. If you have any questions about the eligibility of your project please contact Trynka Gogal, Client Services and Administrative Coordinator, at the BC Rehab office.
The entire review process after the deadline will take up to four weeks.
Applications can be sent by fax, e-mail or regular mail to the BC Rehab office. Please send to the attention of Trynka Gogal.
BC Rehab Foundation
4255 Laurel Street